This salad was inspired by a dish I had at a local coffee shop. I decided to make it my own one night during a get together with my girlfriends and we devoured it quite happily.
Be prepared to feel full after this one. Between all the veggies and the lentils it's very filling.
Warm Beet, Squash and Lentil Salad with Goat Cheese
- 1 beet, peeled and diced
- 1/2 red onion, diced
- 1/2 butternut squash, peeled and diced
- 6 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp cumin
- 1 tbsp paprika
- ¼ tsp salt
- 2 tbsp oregano
- 1 cup dried brown or green lentils
- 1 tbsp Dijon mustard
- 3 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 3 oz goat cheese
- 4 cups arugula
1. Preheat oven to 400*F
2. In a large bowl combine 2tbsp olive oil, cumin, paprika, salt and 1 tbsp oregano. Add in beet, onion and butternut squash. Toss to cost.
3. Line vegetables in a single layer on a baking sheet. Roast in oven for 30-40 minutes until vegetables begin to brown. Turn vegetables occasionally while cooking.
4. Meanwhile, boil lentils for about 30 minutes in a sauce pan with 3 cups of water. Drain and set aside.
5. In a small dish whisk together remaining olive oil, mustard, balsamic vinegar and remaining oregano. Set aside.
6. Divide arugula among 4 serving bowls. Top with warm lentils and vegetable mixture. Break goat cheese into pieces and divide on top of salads.
7. Drizzle with dressing and serve immediately.