Spicy Mushroom Grilled Cheese
1 tsp olive oil
1/2 clove garlic, minced
1/4 sweet onion, finely chopped
300-400g mixed mushrooms, loosely chopped
1/2 jalapeno, seeded and diced
1 tsp fresh oregano
Thinly sliced or shredded cheddar cheese (I recommend apple wood smoked if you have it)
4 slices whole wheat bread
1 tbsp butter
1) Heat olive oil in a large pan on medium heat. Add garlic and onions and saute for about 2 minutes.
2) Add in mushrooms and jalapenos. Cook down for about 5-8 minutes until mushrooms soften.
3) Add in oregano and cook for another minute.
4) Meanwhile heat another clean pan on medium low heat.
5) Lightly butter the outside of the whole wheat bread. You can use less if you are using a non stick pan.
6) Sprinkle a thin layer of the cheddar cheese on the inside of one slice of bread.
7) Top with mushroom mixture. Sprinkle a little more cheese then top with another slice of bread.
8) Repeat with other two slices of bread.
9) Place in warm pan and brown for about 4 minutes (or until golden) on one side then flip and brown on the other.
This grilled cheese is super tasty with a little salsa for dipping.