1 3/4 cups yellow cornmeal (preferably stone-ground)
3/4 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon coarse salt
1 tbsp cinnamon
1/4 tsp cumin
2 large eggs
2 bananas (mashed)
1/4 cup packed brown sugar
1 3/4 cups well-shaken buttermilk
1/4 cup margarine
1) Preheat oven to 425°F. Put a dry, well-seasoned 9- to 9 1/2-inch cast-iron skillet in middle of oven to heat.
2) Stir together cornmeal, baking soda, brown sugar, cinnamon, cumin and salt, crushing any small bits of baking soda. Whisk eggs in another bowl until blended and whisk in buttermilk and bananas.
3) Remove hot skillet from oven carefully and add margarine, swirling gently to coat bottom and sides of skillet. (If margarine begins to sizzle and brown around edges, so much the better.)
4) Whisk hot butter into buttermilk mixture and return skillet to oven. Stir cornmeal into buttermilk mixture just until moistened. (The batter doesn't have to be smooth—a few small lumps are good.)
5) Scrape batter into hot skillet and bake until golden (placing a cookie tray underneath will prevent overflow), 20 to 25 minutes. Invert skillet over a platter and cool bread at least 3 minutes.