Asparagus is a wonderful vegetable: it's loaded with fiber, protein, folate (6 spears gives you half of what you need in a day), magnesium, vitamin K, C and most of your B vitamins. It's a one stop shop for a whole lot of nutrition and it's only around for a couple of months so enjoy it! PS. This recipe is a great way to get your kids to eat their vegetables.
Asparagus Grilled Cheese
1 bunch local Ontario asparagus spears washed and trimmed
1 tablespoon canola oil
1 loaf artisan multigrain sourdough bread
2 teaspoons honey garlic mustard
8 slices Ontario Gouda Cheese
8 Slices Ontario Rosemary Ham, thinly sliced
1) Toss the asparagus in the oil. Arrange in a single layer on a baking sheet. Roast in a preheated 400F oven for about 10 minutes and set aside.
2) Meanwhile cut 8 slices of bread and lay them on a clean work surface
3) Spread mustard on one side of each sandwich and top with a slice of cheese. Lay spears of asparagus on each slice, top with ham slices and another slice of sourdough.
4) Heat skillet to medium heat. Lightly spread margarine on outer sides of bread. Lay sandwich in skillet and cook until bread begins to turn golden brown (about 3 minutes).
5) Turn sandwich over and cook for another 3 to 4 minutes.
Makes 4 Sandwiches
Please note: all the ingredients listed can be found at the Hamilton Farmer's Market where I was preparing the dish. Feel free to make you own substitutions!
For those interested in having their own cooking lesson or class, feel free to contact me under the Contacts and Links Page.