Five Fresh Foods for Your Fridge
When buying packaged foods, choose nutrient-rich ones that have more vitamins, minerals and fibre, and less sodium, fat and sugar. Consider adding these healthy finds to your cart the next time you shop:
1) Milk, yogurt and cheese. With up to 16 essential nutrients, milk products make a super snack or a smart addition to cooking and baking. Choose lower-fat milk products.
2) Fresh vegetables and fruit. They’re filled with fibre, vitamins and minerals for good health. Keep colourful cut veggies and fruit ready for grab-and-go snacks.
3) Eggs. A very versatile source of protein! Cook up a quick frittata, burrito or omelette for breakfast, lunch or dinner.
4) Hummus or bean dips, such as black bean or white bean. Legumes are loaded with protein and fibre, and they make tasty dips for veggies.
5) Natural nut butters. For a superb nutty taste, choose natural nut butters, such as
peanut or almond, with no added sugar or salt.
Bonus items! A big, juicy squeeze of lemon or lime, or a small splash of lower-sodium varieties of condiments such as salsa, pesto or soy sauce, can make healthy meals pop with flavour.
For more great tips on grocery shopping visit dietitians.ca