Some granola bars are like glorified chocolate bars. Here are a couple of tips to help you pick the best bar possible.
1) Avoid chocolate dips and or coatings. These are often just a lot of added sugar.
2) Read the nutrition label. Here is an easy guideline for picking the right bar: look for 4g of fibre or more and 8g of sugar or less per serving. You can apply this rule to your breakfast cereal as well!
3) All natural does not equal healthy! Read the package. Just because it's loaded with all natural nuts, all natural sugar and all natural grains does not mean it's not over packed with sugar, salt or fat.
Overall in a pinch a well balanced granola bar can be a life saver, but don't rely on them for your between meal snacks. Include snacks from the other food groups as well such as:
1) Snack sized tuna and whole grain crackers
2) Veggies and hummus
3) 1oz of low fat cheese and a piece of fruit
4) Greek yogurt with fruit
Variety is key!