This is a great recipe to start off the summer with. I have found grilling the steak and chicken on the BBQ before and then slicing it up and adding it at step 3 can add that nice BBQ flavor. You can play around with extra toppings as well like cheddar cheese or pickled jalapenos.
Loaded with lots of fresh veggies, this is an excellent low carb and gluten free option depending on your family's needs.
A huge thank you to my fellow foodie Merryn for her inspiring me with her tasty chicken fajita lettuce wraps.
Chicken and Beef Fajita Lettuce Wraps
- 1 tbsp canola or sunflower oil
- 8oz strip loin steak, sliced into strips
- 8 oz chicken breast. slices into strips
- 1 clove of garlic, minced
- ½ red onion, finely sliced
- 1 red pepper, sliced into strips
- 1 tbsp chili powder
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 tbsp lime juice
- 1 head Boston leaf lettuce or red leaf lettuce
- ½ avocado, sliced
- 1/4 cup salsa
- 1/4 cup low fat plain Greek yogurt or sour cream
1. Heat 2 tsp oil in a saucepan over medium high heat and sauté chicken and beef until cooked through, 5-7 minutes. Remove from pan and set aside in a bowl.
2. Heat the remaining oil in a saucepan over medium heat. Add garlic, onion, chili powder and cumin and sauté until softened, about 2 minutes.
3. Add bell pepper and lime juice and continue cooking for 4-5 minutes. Add cooked meat to the mixture in the pan, and toss over heat for an additional 1-2 minutes.
3. To serve, place single lettuce leaves on a plate to act as wraps. Spoon some of the fajita mixture into each leaf. Top with avocado slices, salsa and sour cream. Wrap, eat, enjoy!