In each of the famous Godfather movies, there is a different recipe hidden. One of the most famous is 'Sunday Sauce'. You can watch it in the video below to hear the recipe but here it is in writting:
Godfather Spaghetti Sauce
2 tbsp. olive oil
2-4 cloves garlic, chopped
2 large (28-ounce) cans tomatoes (whole, crushed or chopped)
1 10-ounce or 2 6-ounce cans tomato paste
3 to 4 Italian sausages, grilled and sliced
1 lb. cooked meatballs (use your favorite recipe)
Dry red wine
1/4 cup sugar
1. Heat the oil over medium heat in a large pot.
2. Add garlic and cook for a few minutes. Do not let the garlic burn.
3. Add tomatoes and tomato paste. Cook for about 5 minutes, stirring continuously so that a relatively smooth consistence is reached.
4. Add sausages and meatballs. Stir until the meat is coated.
5. Add a splash of red wine, then the sugar according to taste.
6. Reduce heat to medium-low and let simmer for a minimum of 20 minutes, stirring occasionally to prevent scorching.
7. Serve by ladling over cooked pasta.
The recipe is a little high in fat, but it's still worth a try. If you want to improve the nutrition content of this recipe, cut back the sugar to 2 tbsp, try making the meatballs with ground chicken instead of beef and be sure to use a lean sausage. The recipe is already lower in salt than most store bought pasta sauces you would find.
Enjoy and happy Friday!